Certified Medical Assistant (FT) - Corporate Care/Employee Health - Newark, NJ
- NEWARK, NJ
- MMC Southern Campus
- Corporate Care at MSC
- MEDICAL ASSISTANT
- Posted: April 7, 2021
Sign-on Bonus Now Provided for This Position!**
A Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) performs routine clinical and clerical tasks under the direction of a physician or other health practitioner. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs, medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, processing prescription refills, and assists with minor procedures as directed by a physician or health practitioner. The CMA acts as a practice ambassador contributing to overall patient experience, safety, and privacy.
- Performs clinical tasks such as blood draws, EKGs, hearing and vision screens, urinalysis, injections, vaccinations, and medication administration, treatments and minor surgeries as needed
- Supports practice needs with clerical tasks such as answering phones, scheduling appointments, verifying insurance, collecting co-pays, preparing lab requests, and other clerical tasks as assigned
- Communicates with insurance providers and handles pre-authorizations and certifications as necessary
- Prepares rooms, arranges instruments and equipment, and ensures a neat and sanitary environment
- Rooms patients, verifies patient information, confirms purpose of visit, obtains and records vitals and updates medical history
- Communicates with patients and other providers per the instruction of the overseeing physician or health practitioner
- Creates and maintains health record information, files and organizes as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED required within one (1) year of hire. Candidates who do not possess a High School Diploma or GED equivalent at time of hire will be provided the opportunity to enroll in a GED/HSEA program as a condition of employment. New hires will be provided one (1) year from date of hire to successfully complete a GED program and obtain their HSEA. *
- Relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Medical Assistant Certification required or the ability and willingness to obtain certification from one of the following recognized organizations within 60 days of hire: NHA, NCCT, AMT, AAMA, NCMA, AMCA, NAHP. Job title will reflect Medical Assistant and will convert to Certified Medical Assistant upon proof of certification.
- BLS Certification approved by AHA, required
- At least 6 months of relevant experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the importance of patient satisfaction and safety
- Ability to take vital signs and perform a patient assessment
- Administration of medications as directed by physician or health practitioner
- Phlebotomy and EKG, preferred
- Proficient knowledge of medical terminology
- Strong written and oral communication skills essential
- Attention to accuracy and detail
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and work under pressure
- Knowledge of electronic medical record (EMR) systems, preferred
Monday - Friday, 7:30am - 5:00pm
*Hours are subject to change as business needs require.
**Sign-on bonus only provided to external hires. Internal RWJBH employees do not qualify for this benefit.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
RWJBarnabas Health is the most comprehensive health care delivery system in New Jersey, with a service area covering five million people. The system includes eleven acute care hospitals – Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville, Community Medical Center in Toms River, Jersey City Medical Center in Jersey City, Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in Lakewood, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center in Newark, RWJUH- New Brunswick, RWJUH- Somerset in Somerville, RWJUH- Hamilton, RWJUH- Rahway and Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston; three acute care children’s hospitals and a leading pediatric rehabilitation hospital (Children’s Specialized Hospital), a freestanding 100-bed behavioral health center, trauma centers, a satellite emergency department, ambulatory care centers, geriatric centers, the state’s largest behavioral health network, comprehensive home care and hospice programs, fitness and wellness centers, retail pharmacy services, a medical group, multi-site imaging centers and an accountable care organization.
RWJBarnabas Health Medical Group is a multispecialty group practice comprised of highly trained and experienced world class primary and specialty care physicians. RWJBarnabas Health Medical Group physicians provide compassionate and innovative cutting-edge care for people at every stage of life at easily accessible facilities conveniently located throughout New Jersey. Backed by the vast continuum of resources of RWJBarnabas Health, the largest not-for-profit integrated health care delivery system in New Jersey and one of the largest in the nation, our dedicated physicians and expertly trained supporting staff continuously strive for clinical excellence.
We offer a great work environment, competitive rates and excellent benefits, including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans
- 401 (k)
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Basic Life & Accidental Death Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts